Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

HeartStrings Gallery

My heart is connected to and speaks through my creations.
Project/week 1 "HeART Connections"

My heart is connected to and speaks through my creations. 

Project/week 2 "Severed"

The measures I sometimes feel the need to take in order to prevent pain and strong emotions



Project/week 3 "Egocentric"


I can often be too focused on, and perhaps even in love with myself and my image. The intricate embroidery shows the depth of attention and decoration I place on myself. The 2 notes reflected in the mirror read 'You are the [key] to your own success', and 'Find your inner wings'. - Society correlates the love of one's appearance to self worth, leading to self-obsessed, lonely people. 



Project/week 4 "Intrusion"


I incorporated small, meaningful details in this piece to add to the story. I curl protectively around my heart strings while an 'intruder' lights the fuse of the said heartstrings.


Project/week 5 "Torn"


Do you ever feel as if you are being torn in multiple different directions? In relationships, life decisions, responsibilities... Instead of others reaching in to assist you, it seems as if they rip out pieces for themselves.

Project/week 6 "Burial"


Following the concept of "Torn", I symbolically bury the heart that no longer works or is of use to me.


Project/week 7 "Growth"


This piece shows a turning point in the theme. A second individual is introduced in a positive light. My buried heart becomes like a seed that has been planted and just now someone has come to care for it and encourage growth. My choice in composition and body position shows some residual hesitation.

Project/week 8 "Genesis"


This piece stands outside of the story as I experimented in sculpture and pushing conceptual design. The form of a person is being created in the circulatory system that stems from the heartstrings of the fully formed hand, holding the heart. There is some ambiguity in interpretation as well - the direction of formation & connection occurring... 



Project/week 9 "Exuberance"

There is joy and great openness in this dance - the connection between the two. The scene still occurs in twilight, but the warmth & glow of the girl's (my?) heart, represented by unfurling wings, light up the individuals' faces.


Project/week 10 "Release"

This piece continues the story of #9, where now I have released my bird/heart from my rib 'cage' (literally). The large bird above me represents the male figure from #9. It carries the key to my rib cage/ bird/ heart as my own bird is freed to follow. 

Project/week 11 "Forsaken"

Continuing the #9 & 10 story: I strain to reach for the bird that flies away from me as my own bird/heart falls in flight through the tree branches. The heart strings connecting out to the bird in flight are straining and frayed down to 1 last string. In this piece, I show that I now have people who are ready to support me and catch me if I fall.

Project/week 12 "Reborn"

The ending of #9-11 story: My bird/heart and I have fallen from the tree. However, in contrast to the very beginning pieces, I have people around me to help me regain my metaphorical wings, and sew my heart back together. I am being helped back on my feet as others use their own heart strings to invest in my healing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment