Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

HeartStrings Artist Statement


     Exploring art as a multi-dimensional form of communication inspires my creative passion. In my thesis, Heartstrings: The Tangible Exploration of Emotional Ties and Relationships, I break the two- dimensional barrier typically found in paintings. This artistic approach also carries into my personal view of the purpose of art.

     In my work, I create an atmosphere in each piece where the three- dimensional string and sculpture blends into the surface of the painting. This involves understanding the capabilities of the material in order to manipulate it beyond the conventional means. Along with the pursuit of technical painting skills and the understanding of sculptural elements, I explore my conceptual abilities. As a relatively laid-back person emotionally, I often struggle to depict the emotions and pull of my ‘heartstrings’. I found a solution in creating strong, dramatic compositions. As the series progressed, I also began to develop a storyline in which I could exaggerate my emotions –perhaps beyond my own reality, in order to further the metaphorical purpose behind the literal heart strings. 

      This series of work helped to solidify my personal view of the purpose of art outside of my personal boundaries. Working in communication with other talented artists taught me how to appropriately share my knowledge while being open to truly learn from my peers. As a result, I’ve realized that my art can accomplish more than bringing myself joy; it has the ability to affect others around me. I believe that art, in all of its beautiful, expressive forms, provides a unique channel for our voices where words fail. Through colors, compositions, brush strokes – and even string, we can pour out our stories as a declaration to the world, for healing, or to speak for those who are unable. As I begin to build my future upon this foundation, I will reach out into the dimension beyond myself: my community. 


     This body of work on the metaphorical and literal heartstrings involves pushing outside confining space – not only altering the flat surface of a canvas, but also branching out beyond personal achievement to serve my community with my creative strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment